About Me

My photo
Nottingham, NH, United States
I'm a middle school science teacher at Nottingham and I love biology!

Search This Blog

Monday, June 17, 2013

World Wide Words: What's in word?

Do you ever wonder about the origins of some of the words you hear?  I heard the word "jiggery-pokery" the other day, and in thinking about it some more tonight, decided to google it.  Here's what I found:

World Wide Words: Jiggery-pokery: "Jiggery-pokery It’s not so much found these days, though it is a delightful word for describing underhand practices or dishonest manipulation of individuals for personal profit. People also mean by it some form of trickery"

Click the link to read more about the origins of jiggery-pokery and exactly why it is so fun to say!(...and you can find out what a double dactyl is while you are at it!)
'via Blog this'

No comments: