1. Write an essay about a barrier that you have faced. Explain
how you used one or more of Jackie Robinson’s nine values
(listed below) to face this barrier.
• courage • persistence • justice
• determination • integrity • commitment
• teamwork • citizenship • excellence
2. On each entry, include the following information:
• student’s name • school name
• student’s grade • school city/state
• teacher’s name
3. Submit your essay in one of two ways:
Mail your entry to: Give it to your teacher
Breaking Barriers Contest to enter for you online.
P.O. Box 713
New York, NY 10013-0713
• All entries must be submitted by March 14, 2013.
• Each essay must be between 200 and 700 words.
• All essays must be factual and based on the student’s
real-life experience. Fictional stories will be disqualified.
You Could Win:
A trip to the 2013
Major League Baseball
A laptop computer for you
and one for your teacher
A class visit from
Sharon Robinson, daughter
of Jackie Robinson
A class set of books on
A class set of
Breaking Barriers T-shirts
• How well does the essay express the student’s barrier?
• How well does the essay express how one or more of the values—courage,
determination, teamwork, persistence, integrity, citizenship, justice,
commitment, and excellence—is used to face and/or overcome the barrier?
• How well is the essay organized to express what the writer wants to say?
• How effective is the essay in expressing the writer’s point of view?
• Correct grammar and spelling will also be considered.